FORMER BOLTON striker Ivan Klasnic has undergone a THIRD kidney operation after a donor was found.
The ex-Croatia international first suffered kidney failure back in 2006 while playing for German side Werder Bremen
The Croatian forward underwent a kidney transplant in 2006 but the organ donated by his mother was rejected by his body days later.
He was able to resume playing after his father provided a second replacement kidney in September 2016.
Speaking to German outlet Bild, the 37-year-old said it was “hard” to have to go through a third operation.
He said: “It’s hard to go through this for the third time. I was very worried that the donors did not work again. But now it looks good.”
“At last my life can go back to normal,” he added.
Klasnic became the first ever player to play in a major international tournament with a replacement kidney when Slaven Bilic picked him to play for Croatia at Euro 2008.
But he has faced various setbacks along the way, and in September last year he was hospital-ridden once again after the organ failed and deemed critically ill.
He has been spending three days a week on dialysis in hospital, while he waits for a new organ which can take as long as SEVEN years.
most read bolton news
Speaking about his current condition, Klasnic said: “Soon I’ll be able to drink water again, without having to measure it in milliliters before.”
He added: “I have to wear a breath mask and I can not move too much. But soon again. And then more than ever before.
“He is now looking forward to his daughter and a lot of time with her.”
Bolton has issued a “get well” message to Klasnic, who scored 24 goals in 77 games for Wanderers between 2009 and 2012.
Club spokesman Paul Holliday said: “We wish Ivan all the best in his recovery and look forward to welcoming him back to the Macron Stadium soon.”
The former Mainz forward had been due to attend Bolton’s game against QPR at the Macron Stadium on Saturday.