IF you feel you are working too hard and are still strapped for cash, it might be time to ask for a pay rise.
Negotiating a higher salary can be a tricky task, so research and timing are key.
Glassdoor’s Mark Di-Toro says preparation is the key to successfully convincing your boss that you deserve a pay rise[/caption]
Glassdoor careers expert Mark Di-Toro told Sun Savers: “Preparation is your most valued ally.
“Be sure you’ve thought through the reasons why you deserve an increase and how it relates to your worth in the market. But, most importantly, work hard, back yourself and make sure you deserve it.”
Here are his nine top tips:
Expressing gratitude and being confident are simple ways that can guarantee you get the pay rise[/caption]
- Ask at a strategic time: A natural time for this conversation is at your annual performance review, when the topic is often expected.
- Be clear on your reasons for asking: Explain why you are asking for the raise at this time, mentioning accomplishments or the additional responsibilities you’ve taken on. Be prepared for any questions.
- Be confident: If you are confident in your abilities, you are already on the right track.
- Express gratitude: Appreciation for what you currently have at the company is a gracious and professional preface.
- Be specific: Mention your desired salary number and how you came to this conclusion.
- Express enthusiasm: Sharing excitement for your future goals, and for the future goals of the company, shows you are invested in doing your job well.
- Keep your emotions in check: Negotiation can be scary, stressful, exciting and frustrating. Stay professional.
- Be ready to negotiate: Pay attention to other perks such as health benefits or the opportunity to work remotely. An employer may be open to offering additional perks if they cannot promise a higher salary
- Find a balance between what you’re worth and what the employer can offer: This is the most important rule when negotiating a salary. The last thing you want to do is to request a higher salary and more benefits without doing your research first.
Before asking for a rise, ensure you are working your absolute hardest[/caption]
PAY RISE FACTS
- 59 per cent of women and 42 per cent of women have never requested a rise
- Women ask fo an increase just as often as men but men are 25 per cent more likely to be given a raise
- 55 per cent of firms have increased staff pay in last year
Bed sets at dream prices
SAVE BIG: Get yourself off to a good night’s sleep in luxury at bargain prices. The Eliza Blue Bed Sets come in single, double, king and super king sizes.
Double bed sets are now £19.99, down from £80 from Julian Charles. Offer ends October 31.
SAVE SMALL: Mix things up a little bit with a bag of Tesco’s Food Should Taste Good crisps.
They come in three flavours: Multigrain, Sweet Potato and Blue Corn. Now £1.50, was £2.14 in Tesco. Offer ends November 14.
A meaty saving to be had at Lidl
SAVER SPOT 1: Lidl has launched a 21-day côte de boeuf steak and it is £15 per kilo cheaper than Waitrose. But you’ll have to be quick because stock is likely to be limited. It is on sale in stores from today.
SAVER SPOT 2: Toys R Us has an up-to-half-price sale on its Babies R Us range, great for any expecting parents already feeling the pinch. The discounts are included on prams, bottles and cribs. Offers are available in store and online. While stocks last.
- PRICES correct at time of going to press. Deals and offers subject to availability.
Win £5,000 cash
WITH winter just around the corner and the autumn chill forcing us to put the heating on, now is the time of year our household bills start to increase.
But The Sun is here to help as we’re giving you the chance to win £5,000 to put toward your bills for a year.
The Sun is giving you the chance to win one of ten prizes of £5,000 to help pay those bills for a year[/caption]
TEN lucky winners will get £5,000 cash each.
To enter, simply join Sun Savers today. Then collect ten Sun Savers codes before Tuesday, October 31.
Today’s code and how to join Sun Savers is on further down. Once you have your ten codes, you will be
prompted to enter. Make sure you enter by Monday, November 13.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS: Collect TEN Sun Savers codes from the 18 printed in The Sun between today, Saturday, October 14, and Tuesday, October 31, 2017. Last chance to join in is Sunday, October 22. Competition closes at 23:59 on Monday, November 13. Over-18s, residents of the UK only. One entry per person.
Winners will be selected at random from all valid entries. There will be TEN winners of £5,000 only. Allow 28 days from entry closing for the draw to take place. Winners will be notified within seven days. No cash alternative to prize in whole or in part. Prize is non-transferable. Your information will only be used for the purposes of this competition. Promoter is News Group Newspapers Ltd.
Not open to staff of the Promoter and promotional partner or their families. The winners will be required to participate in reasonable publicity relating to this competition. The Editor’s decision is final.
Fancy a free fiver?
YOU can get FREE cash with super Sun Savers just for buying your favourite paper.
Our brilliant new rewards club, which launched this week, will pay back our most loyal readers.
Just pick up the paper each day to collect your Sun Savers codes and we will GIVE YOU £5 when you have collected 28.
This isn’t a one-off and there is no limit to how much cash you can save.
For every 28 codes you enter, we will give you a fiver. So over the course of a year, that could add up to £65.
We are keeping it super-simple. You don’t have to enter codes from consecutive days, so don’t worry if you forget a day or two.
Simply collect 28 codes and we’ll give you £5 for FREE
In fact, it is completely up to you how much you save.
Download our easy Sun Savers app and quickly scan your code using your smartphone. Or go online and enter your code at sunsavers.co.uk.
To get you on your way, join today and we will put a bonus £1 in your Sun Savers wallet tomorrow. And the good news doesn’t stop with free cash.
With Sun Savers, we give you the best hacks, deals and tips to save money every single day.
TO JOIN: Don’t worry, folks — joining takes just 30 seconds, in three steps.
All we’ll ask of you is your name, your date of birth and an email address to get you on the way to your first crisp fiver.
You can choose to save or cash out straight to your bank account or instantly with Paypal.
Don’t delay — join Sun Savers now!
MOST READ IN MONEY