Jump directly to the content

‘Big Freeze’ to last TWO WEEKS as icy weather brings motorway pile-ups and traffic chaos

Weather experts warn arctic temperatures of -10C will grip UK over next fortnight

FREEZING conditions have caused motorway pile-ups this morning, with forecasters predicting Britain will be gripped by artic weather for TWO WEEKS.

There was travel chaos during this morning's rush hour after snow blanketed parts of Britain overnight.

Sub zero temperatures have caused at least three accidents involving multiple cars.

"Update is we are at a 14 (yes fourteen) vehicle RTC Amazingly there appears to be no serious injuries. All now on hard shoulder & lanes open."

An eight-car road traffic accident was reported on the M6 near Wigan, and there was a five-car pile-up on the M4 in Monmouthshire.

As forecasters predict another fortnight of dangerous weather BBC Travel said there were 40 road incidents at around 9.30am.

Parts of the UK were coated in snow over the weekend - causing the working week to get off to a dangerous start for many commuters.

There was a six-car pile-up on the M77 near Glasgow and a three-car accident on the M18 in South Yorkshire.

Forecasters predict the arctic conditions will last for two weeks - with temperatures plummeting to -10C in some areas.

Experts warn 8cm (more than three inches) of snow could fall in the worst-hit places and temperatures will fall to -3C tonight.

A Yellow Warning of snow and ice has been issued, with the Met Office adding: "A mixture of sleet and snow will gradually spread eastwards overnight on Sunday, before easing during Monday afternoon.

"This is expected to lead to further accumulations of snow in places, with 1cm to 3cm quite widely, and 4cm to 8cm in some places, particularly over higher ground.

"Ice will be an additional hazard in some areas, especially where sleet falls onto sub-zero surfaces."

Torrential rain has caused flooding in the southwest this morning, and a five-vehicle pile-up at roughly 6.45am blocked the A30.

Storms in Cornwall and Devon have led one wildlife hospital to report it is being swamped with baby seals who have been hit against rocks.

Meanwhile tributes were paid to a pair of climbers who died in Glen Coe, Scotland, on Saturday.

The bodies of Simon Davidson, 34, from the Edinburgh area, and Joe Smith, 23, from Kinlochleven, were found by other climbers.

Simon Yearsley described Mr Davidson as a "fine fun guy" who was "super-enthused" about climbing.

Another pal James Dunn, who had climed in Scotland with Mr Davidson, said on Facebook: "The only solace we can take from the tragic news of Simon Davidson is to live life to the fullest. Rest in peace Simon."